Admin Services Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is there a directory of repairs and services available?
    Yes, we have a directory repair and services available.
    Click here for a complete alphabetical listing of repairs and services.
    Click here for a complete listing of repairs and services by department.

    How do I make an appointment with Mr. Hernandez or Mr. Kehrer?
    You can contact Business & Operations Services at 559-730-7529. 

    How do I schedule a conference room?
    Conference rooms are scheduled using the Facilitron system.  Click for Facilitron  

    Who do I contact to book a school facility use for activities?
    Schools may book their own activities through the Calendar in Facilitron at their home or other VUSD site.  Click for Facilitron

    All other groups and organizations must book through the public facing section of Facilitron.  Click for Facilitron   If you have any questions, please contact Shellie Knight at 559-730-7529.

    Who do I contact if I want to post informational flyers on school  district facilities?
    You will need to contact Leah Martinez 559-730-7515.  

    What is the VUSD Site Observation Checklist?
    This is a form you may fill out which provides your observed status of any of our facilities.  We appreciate this feedback and use it to improve our service.  You can access it from the Site Survey button on the Business & Operations Services main page or Click HERE

    What is the STS (Service Ticket System) and how can I submit a ticket for services in STS?
    The STS provides a Web based method of requesting services within the District.  Each department which takes requests for service through the STS has a Service Request button on their department web page.  You also may Click HERE to create a STS Ticket