Families in Transition


  • Vanessa Alvarado-VUSD Homeless Liaison (559) 730-7498

    Erica Castillo- Student Welfare and Attendance Technician (559) 730-7498



    You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the Federal Mckinney-Vento Act and California State Law if you live:

    • In a shelter (family, domestic violence or youth shelter, or transitional living program)
    • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
    • In a house or apartment with more than one family becuase of economic hardship or loss (doubled-up)
    • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
    • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)

    To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to immediately provide:

    • Proof of residency
    • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results
    • School records
    • Legal guardianship papers

    Parents' responsibilities are to:

    • Make sure child attends school regularly and completes homework and projects on time
    • Attend parent-teacher conferences, Back-to-School Nights, and other school-related activities
    • Stay informed of school rules, regulations, and activities
    • Participate in school advisory/decision-making activities

    You may:

    • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
    • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance zone or district
    • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
    • Qualify automatically for child nutrition programs (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
    • Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process
  • If you feel you are eligible, please fill out the form below


Community Resources