Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where do I pick up my paycheck?
    Regular district employees can pick up their paycheck/paystub in the office at their school site or department on payday. When the school sites are closed for recess periods (Dec, June & July), paychecks/paystubs are mailed.
    All substitute employees paychecks/paystubs are mailed every month.
    How many paychecks do Classified employees receive?
    Classified Management, Confidential and 12 month employees receive 12 paychecks (July - June) per year. 11 month and school session employees receive 11 paychecks (Aug - June) per year.
    How many paychecks do Certificated employees receive?
    Certificated management, LVN's, Psychologist and Ag Teachers receive 12 equal paychecks (July - June) per year. Teachers and Counselors receive 11 equal paychecks (August - June) plus their DEFER pay out in July.
    I worked extra hours and/or overtime last month. When am I paid for this extra work?
    Classified Staff: The paycheck you earn at the end of each month includes the extra work and/or overtime worked the prior month. (Example: If you performed work on May, you must complete a May timesheet and turned in to Payroll by the 1st working day of June. On your June paycheck/paystub, you will see the earnings for May's timesheet).  
    Certificated Staff (Teacher): You will receive a separate paycheck on the 15th of the following month for any additional work performed. If and only the timesheet was turned in on time.
    Who gets paid on the 15th of the month?
    Substitute teachers are the only people that get paid on the 15th of the month.
    When are time sheets due?
    All time sheets need to be turned in to the District Office by the 1st working day of the month in order to be paid for the previous month.
    Do I need to complete a new 2020 W-4 form?

    The IRS is NOT requiring all employees to complete the revised form and has designed the withholding tables so that they will work with both the new and prior year forms. However, certain employees will be required to use the new form: those hired in 2020 and anyone who makes withholding changes during 2020.  Additionally, those affected are required to complete two forms; the new W-4 and California DE-4.   

    Even though the IRS does not require all employees to complete the revised form and even if your tax situation has not changed, we recommend you perform a "paycheck checkup" to see if you need to make adjustments to your current withholding. To conduct the checkup, you can use the IRS's Tax Withholding Estimator ( To effectively use the estimator, it is helpful to have a copy of your most recent pay stub and tax return. It is likely that the estimator will be updated to account for the 2020 tax tables in early January.

    Please note: if you do not submit a new form, withholding will continue based on your previously submitted form.

    Before completing the 2020 Form W-4, please read the instructions that are included with the form. You must complete Steps 1 and 5. Steps 2, 3, and 4 are optional, but completing them will help ensure that your federal income tax withholding will more accurately match your tax liability. Step 1 is for your personal information; Step 2 is for households with multiple jobs; Step 3 is used to claim tax credits for dependents; Step 4 is for other adjustments (additional income such as interest and dividends, itemized deductions that exceed the standard deduction, and extra tax you want withheld); and Step 5 is where you sign the form.

     The IRS takes your privacy seriously and suggests that, if you are worried about reporting income from multiple jobs in Step 2 or other income in Step 4(a), you check the box in Step 2(c) or enter an additional withholding amount in Step 4(c). To determine the additional withholding amount, you can use the withholding estimator.

     The IRS has also published Frequently Asked Questions that you may find helpful as you complete the form (

     Please note:  Visalia Unified staff are unable to provide tax advice as well as advice on how to complete the new form.  If you have any questions regarding tax withholdings or completion of the form, please contact your tax advisor. 
    How often may I change my Federal/State withholding?
    Employees are allowed to change their tax withholding exemptions as often as they like. Employees can change their Federal and State withholding by completing a new W-4 Form and DE-4 Form submitting it to Payroll. Calculators exist to help you determine your Federal and State tax liability (IRS Withholding Tax Calculator). Payroll also recommends consulting with your tax advisor for guidance. The original W-4 and/or DE-4 Form must be submitted to Payroll no later that the 15th of the month for processing.
    When will the annual W-2s be ready?
    Your W-2 will be mailed to your mailing address on file no later than January 31, 2020.  Please contact HRD with address changes prior to January 14th in order for you to get it promptly.  If you misplace or don’t receive your W-2 Form in the mail, you may request a copy after February 5th.   
    If you wish to change your withholdings for 2020, the W-4 (Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificated), and DE4 (California Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificated) forms are available on the Finance Dept section of the VUSD website or in Payroll at the District Office.
    How may I obtain a copy of a prior year W-2 Form(s)?
    Please contact your Payroll Technician for assistance. Please allow sufficient time to process your request. Once we have completed your request, you will be given the option to pick up the W-2(s) at the district office or have it mailed to your mailing address on file.
    How may I obtain a copy of my previously issued paystub(s)?
    Please contact your Payroll Technician for assistance. Please allow sufficient time to process your request. Once we have completed your request, you will be given the option to pick up the W-2(s) at the district office or have it mailed to your mailing address on file.
    I recently got divorce/married. How do I change my name with the District?
    Employers are required to use the employee's legal name (as it appears on their Social Security Card) for reporting purposes. To legally change your name with the District, you will need to apply for a new Social Security card and also obtain a new Drivers License or Identification Card. When you receive your new Social Security Card and DL/ID, complete a Name Change Form and take directly into Human Resourses to process your name change. 
    I recently moved. How do I change my address and/or telephone number?
    Complete an Address Change Form and submit it to Human Resourses by either fax, email, interoffice or in person.
    How do I make changes to my TSA - 403(b) or 457?
    These types of deductions are handles by our third party administrator TCG. You can call them at 1-800-943-9179 or you can make changes directly in the CalSTRS403bComply website after you log in.
    What is 403(b) Voluntary Retirement?
    Where can I look up retirement systems information for STRS, CalPERS, or PARS Plan?
    Click on the retirement incon links below.