• Click here for interdistrict transfer request form

    (Transfers either from or into V.U.S.D.)

    These transfers are processed on a continuing basis. They are only approved for one year at a time and will be honored if space permits. If you are interested in applying for a transfer out of the district for next year, applications can be picked up in the Student Services Division at the District Office after February l each year.  On this date, applications to enter VUSD will be accepted. Applicants must apply through their home district. The enclosed information will further assist you in understanding your options and the procedures related to student transfers. If you should have any questions, please contact the Family & Community Engagement Department at 559-730-7566.


    Parents/guardians wishing to enter into an inter district agreement should contact the Family & Community Engagement Department at 559-730-7566. When a request for an incoming inter district agreement is made, it will be determined by the district as to which school the student may be assigned on a space available basis. The parent/guardian will be asked to apply for an inter district agreement from the district in which they reside.

    Parents applying for inter district agreements should be cautioned that when receiving permission to enroll their child under an inter district agreement, there is no guarantee of attendance at the same school for succeeding years.

    Parents/guardians of a child residing in the Visalia Unified School District and applying for an inter district agreement to attend school in another district should call the Family & Community Engagement Department at 559-730-7566. Their request will be processed. Such agreements must be renewed annually.

    Parents/guardians have two different options for application to a school outside the district in which they live.  The two options are described below:

    The law (Education Code Section 46600) allows two or more districts to enter into an agreement for the transfer of one or more students for a period of up to five years. New agreements may be entered into for additional periods of up to five years each. The agreement must specify the terms and conditions under which transfers are permitted.  There are no statutory limitations on the kind of terms and conditions districts are allowed to place on transfers. The law on Inter district transfers also provides for the following:

    • Both of the school districts a parent/guardian is requesting a transfer to and the one a parent/guardian is transferring from give  consideration to the childcare needs of the pupil. If the transfer is approved based on childcare needs, the student may be allowed to stay in the new district or the high school district through the 12th grade, subject to certain conditions.
    • If either district denies a transfer request a parent/guardian may appeal that decision to the county board of education . There are specified time lines in the law for filing an appeal and for the county board of education to make a decision.
    • The Superintendent or designee may deny a transfer into the district for reasons that are not arbitrary or discriminatory (Education Code 46600 (a). A transfer may be denied to Visalia Unified, per AR 5117 (b),for he following reasons:
      1. Overcrowding, lack of space
      2. The cost of educating the student will exceed the increase in state revenue
      3. The request is based solely on a desire to participate in athletics or extra-curricular activities
      4. The student has a history of failure to meet reasonable standards of behavior, attendance or diligence to studies

    * No district is required to provide transportation to a student who transfers into the district, transportation is the obligation of the parent. 


    The law (Education Code Section 48204 (1) provides that if one or both parents/guardians of an elementary school student are employed in the boundaries of a school district other than the one in which they live, the student may be considered a resident of the school district in which his/her parents or guardians work.  This code section does not require that a school district automatically accept a student requesting a transfer on this basis, but a student may not be rejected on the basis of race/ethnicity, sex, parental income, academic achievement, or any other "arbitrary" consideration. Other provisions  of Education  Code Section 48204(t):

    • Either the district in which the parent/guardian lives or the district in which the parent/guardian works may prohibit the transfer if it determines there would be a negative impact on its court ordered or voluntary desegregation plan.
    • The district in which the parent/guardian works may reject a transfer if it determines that the cost of educating the student would be more than the amount of government funds the district would receive for educating the student.  The limitation might particularly apply to any special needs student that would require extra services from the district for which the district believes the state aid it would receive would not fully pay.
    • There are limits(based on total enrollment) on the net number of students that may transfer out of the district under this law, unless the district approves a greater number of transfers.
    • There is no required appeal process for a transfer that is denied.  However, the district that declines to admit a student must provide in writing to the parent/guardian the specific reason for denying the transfer.

    The above summary of the attendance alternatives available to parent/guardian and their children is intended to provide them with an overview of the laws applying to each alternative. Any parents/guardians who are interested in finding out more about these options should contact their own school district, or the district they may be thinking about transferring into for more information on district policies, procedures, and timeline for applying for transfers.


    Applicable Board Policies: