VUSD Volunteer/Chaperone Application Process
For support working alongside teacher (you're never alone with students):
- Volunteer/chaperone attends a short orientation with school site administration.
- Complete VUSD Volunteer Application [click here]
- Part of the application process includes proof of a TB assessment and/or negative testing. This will be turned in along with the application. VUSD Nurses can help w/ TB assessment.
- Admin will check the volunteer’s name in NSOPW website https://www.nsopw.gov/ (Megan’s Law)
- Site secretary scans applications to VUSD Human Resources: Elaine Camus (email@example.com) for most applications, or Kylie Mayes (firstname.lastname@example.org) if fingerprints are needed.
- We will notify you that process is complete once the application is approved by VUSD Human Resources.
- Note: Volunteers must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 3 days of the volunteer work (please realize that this will be verified each time you volunteer).
Additional steps needed if Volunteer/Chaperone will be alone with students or will be supervising during field trips:
- To obtain FBI clearance, VUSD requires volunteers to submit to a background check which will be done with a fingerprinting process. This enrolls the volunteer in the district’s “pull program” which monitors arrest status. The cost of fingerprinting will be the responsibility of the volunteer.
- Call VUSD Human Resources at 559-730-7503 and speak to Elaine Camus (email@example.com). Tell them that you want to come get a Live Scan (authorization form to be fingerprinted)
- VUSD Human Resources will provide a list of locations for volunteers to get it done.
- Volunteers and employees have successfully used “Copy Pack ‘N Ship” at 4125 W Noble Ave, Visalia, because they quickly send the fingerprints for review. The turnaround is quick in most cases.
- Once fingerprints are cleared, VUSD Human Resources will notify the school
- Volunteers who have gone through the fingerprinting process with VUSD previously will not have to be fingerprinted again (because they are already part of the district’s pull program), but will have to fill out the applications yearly.
All volunteers must be approved before helping with school activities/chaperone. For questions touch base with our site Admin Assistant Jeannie Dugan. Thank you!