Tiffani Walkowiak MSN, RN, RCSN
Coordinator, Health Services
PH: 730-7580 FAX: 730-7520
Visalia Unified School District School Health Services
California School Nurses are Registered Nurses that have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing and a California School Health Services Credential. They have experience in Public Health, Pediatrics and Emergency Care Nursing.
Elementary schools are provided one day a week of school nursing services. Middle schools are provided two days a week of school nursing services.
Under the direction of the school nurse, elementary and middle schools may have a treatment nurse available to assist students when the school nurse is at another site.
High schools have five days a week of school nurse service.
School nurses provide the following services:
- Health Screenings & Referrals
- Assessment of Development & Medical History for Special Education
- Immunization Assessment, Administration & Referrals
- Medication & Medical Treatment Supervision
- Emergency Response & Acute Care
- Staff CPR & 1st Aid Instructors
- Crisis Response Team Member
- Daily Health Assessment, Care & Referrals
- Student Study Team Member – Connecting Students to Health Services
- Individual Health Care Plans for Students with Chronic Health Conditions
- Safety Inspections & Prevention Activities
- Student Support Group Coordination
- Health Education resource to Staff, Students and Parents
- Community Resources Coordination - Immunization/Flu Clinics, linking students/families to health care services, after school program services
- Health Promotion Activities
Automated External Defibrillators
Kaweah Delta Health Care District, Visalia Breakfast Rotary and the Heart Safe Community Committee have placed Automated External Defibrillators throughout Visalia high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, theaters and stadiums. Visalia Unified is a recognized CPR/AED training center for the American Heart Association.