VUSD Procedures for Obtaining and Issuing a Work Permit During School Closure and Summer Only
All District Work Permits will be issued by appointment only;
required documents will be processed at:
Visalia Unified School District
College & Career Readiness Office
4930 West Kaweah Ct. Ste. 102, Visalia, CA 93277
Once a student has been offered a job, the student downloads and prints a work permit application: B1-1, “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit” from their high school website, the District’s Career Readiness website, or internet (or below). Blank copies are available at the front door of the College & Career Readiness office. Students must have a work permit for each place of employment. After obtaining a promise of employment:
Section A: Directions to Complete the B1-1 Work Permit Form BEFORE submitting for processing at office.
- Student must completely fill out the B1-1 section, using black or blue (Note: applications will not be processed without a Social Security number).
- Student must request that the employer completely fill out the employer The “Description of Work” must be detailed and complete. Student must obtain employer original signature prior to District verification and the two signatures (student and employer) must be within seven (7) days of each other.
- Student must obtain parent/guardian approval with
- Student either emails email@example.com a clear digital copy of B1-1 Work Permit Form or to make an appointment to drop off the completed B1-1 District staff will respond to the email within one working day. Appointments will be held on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (offices are closed on Friday); student must be present at scheduled appointment for required signatures.
Section B: Directions for submitting the form at the VUSD CCR Office.
- Once arriving at your scheduled appointment, District staff reviews student’s grades and attendance to determine student’s eligibility and notes grades and attendance on the B1-1.
- District staff will generate official work permit (B1-4 form), print 3 copies, and Student is given the work permit to sign.
- After signing, two forms are given to the student -- one form is to be given to the employer and one is for the student’s One form is retained by the District.
Per California Labor Law, work permits are valid through August 20, 2020 and students cannot work during school hours.