GWHS Procedures for Obtaining and Issuing a Work Permit
All District Work Permits will be issued by appointment only;
required documents will be processed at:
Golden West High School
1717 N. McAuliff Visalia CA. 93292
Once a student has been offered a job, the student downloads and prints a work permit application: B1-1, “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit” from their high school website, the District’s Career Readiness website, or internet (or below). Blank copies are available at the front door of the College & Career Readiness office. Students must have a work permit for each place of employment. After obtaining a promise of employment:
Section A: Directions to Complete the B1-1 Work Permit Form BEFORE submitting for processing at office.
- Student must completely fill out the B1-1 section, using black or blue (Note: applications will not be processed without a Social Security number).
- Student must request that the employer completely fill out the employer The “Description of Work” must be detailed and complete. Student must obtain employer original signature prior to District verification and the two signatures (student and employer) must be within seven (7) days of each other.
- Student must obtain parent/guardian approval with
- Student either emails firstname.lastname@example.org a clear digital copy of B1-1 Work Permit Form or to make an appointment to drop off the completed B1-1 District staff will respond to the email within one working day. Appointments will be held on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (offices are closed on Friday); student must be present at scheduled appointment for required signatures.
Section B: Directions for submitting the form at the GWHS Office.
- Once arriving at your scheduled appointment, GWHS staff reviews student’s grades and attendance to determine student’s eligibility and notes grades and attendance on the B1-1.
- GWHS staff will generate official work permit (B1-4 form), print 3 copies, and Student is given the work permit to sign.
- After signing, two forms are given to the student -- one form is to be given to the employer and one is for the student, One form is retained by the GWHS.
THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WORK PERMIT FOR MINORS
THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA REQUIRES THAT ALL MINORS
(A PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 18)
HAVE A WORK PERMIT ON FILE AT THE WORKSITE BEFORE THE EMPLOYMENT IS LEGAL
Exceptions: Possession of a High School Diploma or Equivalent
A minor not attending school is not eligible for a California Work Permit
PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT
- The school of attendance issues the work permit.
- Eligibility—the student must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher, good attendance, good citizenship, and a job offer (you must have a job offer before you can obtain a Work Permit).
- The school will issue a State of California Department of Education Work Permit Application form number B1-1. This form must be completed in blue or black ink and requires the signature of the student, the employer, and the parent/guardian.
- Student must provide a social security number and proof of identification. The employer must note the working hours, a clear description of the work to be performed, and the address of the physical location you will be working.
- The completed B1-1is returned to the school of attendance and reviewed for accuracy and eligibility for both Visalia Unified and the prospective employer.
- The student is to return to his/her school of attendance to pick up the student’s State of California Department of Education Work Permit, form B1-4 (Permit to Employ and Work). The B1-4 is the document that students need to submit to his/her employer to begin employment.
Per California Labor Law, work permits are valid through August 20, 2020 and students cannot work during school hours.